Monday, April 12, 2010

What's all this fuss?


After 5 weeks in the making, my friend, Kevin and I are finally here in Balmain on a lovely Saturday morning for our catchup.  "Someone" was more than flustered as he could not find this cafe and we probably miscommunicated as to where we would meet.  This cafe was quite tucked away in a private arcade and there was no clear signage (apart from a board on the walkway - which could easily be missed) or shopfront.  I happen to stumble upon this cafe as I was coming from the other end of the street and thought I'd grab a table first.  Thanks to technology, we managed to find each other and the cafe.


Clearly not very happy, Kevin eventually settled down and we had a chance to look at the menu.  This cafe was not big (with only a few small tables on the courtyard) and hidden away in this arcade past The Cupcake Factory.  Well, now that we are here at the Adriano Zumbo's Cafe Chocolat, we know how to come here next time... it is located on Shop 5, 308 Darling Street, 6 doors up from the Pattiserie.

There was a great selection of chocolates, actually my kind of chocolates as there were a good selection with nuts in them.  The breakfast menu is not extensive and there was a selection of pastries and brownies and a dessert board.  Kevin has not had breakfast and opted for the banana and walnut bread with passionfruit butter. I decided to go for the plated dessert - "Paris - La Vie En Rose" as it sounded really great.
 

I was initially going to share my dessert with Kevin but after seeing it when it arrived, I said.. sorry... all for me...not sharing...
 My dessert was exquisite, great combination of raspberry sorbet, with petit Rose Macaroons on Rose creme brulee, Fresh lychees and served with a Coconut Strawberry Tapioca Shake.  The dessert blended very well and was not heavy.  The raspberry sorbet was a clear thirst quencher on this warm morning. It takes a real artist to "create" this dessert with this combination.

Meanwhile, Kev was enjoying his banana and walnut bread, although he thought the banana bread was a bit "heavy / stodgy" but really enjoyed the passionfruit butter.

I managed to convince him to order another serving of my dessert, since I was not going to share with him and he also enjoyed it.


I forgot to ask him whether he liked his coffee as the coffee is from The Little Marionette Cafe.  My tea was by Elmstock Importers was only "ok" after my dessert.

We decided to walk down the road to check out the Pattiserie as we could not buy any cakes from the cafe.  I could see what the fuss was about... there were colours and rows of delectable cakes before our very eyes.  Green, orange and all shapes and sizes.  What also caught my eyes were the names given for the cakes... with names like Dr Apple, Charlotte, Sunny Cloud and Tanzanie...and various flavours of Macarons (eg Coffee and Pandan)... a non sweet toothed person would be converted.  Will have to come by again to buy their cakes - who could resist?

Yes, there has been a lot of fuss surrounding Adriano Zumbo and we see why... unique exquisite creations and works of art... too good to eat!  Adriano Zumbo, only 28 years old, is not only very talented and but is also one of the contenders for the 2010 Cleo Bachelor of the year!  Yummmm!  

1 comment:

  1. All the flustering were immediately forgotten when the brulee was spotted. I note the variety of delicate and tasty fare at Adriano Zumbo. Balmain's Darling Street continues to be special and inspiring. Worth a full day walkabout aftre catching a ferry from Circular Quay,as you suggested!

    ReplyDelete