Sunday, July 18, 2010

Come Thai with me..!!

I don't know if it was a co-incidence but I had somehow managed to check out 5 different Thai cheap eats in 3 days or 2 alternate weeks....

It started 2 Fridays ago with Jay and I deciding to check out a new Thai eatery which he had tried before.  Off we went towards the end of Pitt Street.  Our first stop was Khao San, this relatively new Thai eatery which had a few trays of desserts against their glass doors.  Inside, Khao San was dimly lit, it also had a display of greens on a bench to make their salads.  The interior resembled a typical Thai eatery.  I looked at the menu and it was quite limited... so, after about 5 minutes, we slipped out...

I then suggested going to Chat Thai, but I didn't like my chances.  My fears were founded when we turned round the corner and saw the crowd standing outside in the cold waiting for their number to be called.  The wait was going to take forever so, Jay and I decided to try another eatery.
We headed round the corner and went to 3 Mama Chef's Thai restaurant. This place was quite busy and the menu looked more interesting than Khao San.  We settled for 3 Mama Chef's and found the food to be relatively good.  3 Mama Chef's also had a cabinet which sold desserts and cakes.
Not satisfied that we could not get a table at Chat Thai, we decided to go there for desserts.  At 9pm, this restaurant was still busy and it was a cold night... anyway, the waiteress took pity on us and got us a table pretty quickly.  The staff at Chat Thai were friendly and it was good to check out their open kitchen which was still bustling with activity.  There were new desserts being cooked, one of which was Thai doughnuts with a pandan jam.  We tasted the doughnuts which was crispy on the outside and soft on the inside but I found the pandan ham to be a bit heavy.  We didn't have a lot of choices for desserts as their more popular options have been sold out.  Nevertheless our coconut ice-cream was delicious and loved the peanut topping.  Both Jay and I bought some sticky rice with coconut custard (for me) and Jay bought sticky rice with durian... hoped you liked them, Jay!      

Not satisfied that I couldn't get into Chat Thai, I was there with a colleague again last Friday.  Sigh!  We had to wait more than 1 hour for a table!!  The waiting list was at least 2 pages long... !  Too bad... we then headed round the corner to Thainatown.  Thainatown is a small place but had a big menu.  My colleague had no 55, her favourite which was stir fried pork belly while I had the Tom Yum noodle.  Before we could say Boo, the food had arrived, talk about speedy service.  The food is cooked to order.  It tasted very tasty and was good value for money.  The most expensive dish on the menu is about $10 - $12. Definitely a good option for some cheap eats and fast service too!  Really "Exiting" my senses, haha...!

No comments:

Post a Comment