Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Cafe Sopra - after Andy Bunn...

I haven't eaten at Cafe Sopra for a couple of months now and thought it'll be good to revisit since Andy Bunn (previous chef) parted ways.

My friend and I arrived at the restaurant close to 1pm and the place was full and there was a queue.  The staff taking our names was friendly and asked if we wanted to share a table.  After about a 20 min wait, our table was ready.

The handwritten board had a good selection but we settled on a Duck Ragu pappardelle and a Meatballs Bolognese bucatini.  Loved the pasta which was cooked al -dente.  We found the duck ragu to be too "shredded" (ala tuna like) but was quite tasty.


I am not sure of the meatballs though...  I imagined a hearty and rich meatball but the meatballs tasted as though  someone loved cumin very much and the smell permeated through... so, the cumin spoilt it for me and the mince was too "soft" and mushy for my liking.

We were too full to have desserts but the other tables ordered Eton Mess (looked good with raspberry coulis through)... apparently their Banoffee tart is good...

I'm not sure if I'll specifically make the trek across town to visit Cafe Sopra soon ...might wait a few more months...

ps... the Fratelli fresh downstairs is stocked well with jars of jams and fresh produce... but... at a premium...compared to Harris Farms and the like...

2 comments:

  1. The duck ragu looks absolutely ravishing to taste. Cafe Sopra looks pretty well packed with customers on the day you visited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it was packed for lunch... I think if you go after 1pm... then the crowd dissipates somewhat...

    ReplyDelete