Sunday, October 23, 2011

Taste of Shanghai

Taste of Shanghai has been in existence in Eastwood for more than 2 years now.  Personally, I haven't eaten there for a while until lately I decided to check it out.

I was pleasantly surprised - they had renovated the interior and it looked a lot better than when it first started.  I guess they realised that they were not utilising the space efficiently when they had private rooms along one side, which often meant that those customers in the private rooms were suffering from a lack of service. They have also moved their dumpling open kitchen to the side.  What emerged now is definitely a more pleasant environment and looks cleaner with the walls decked out with paintings resembling Shanghai.

The menu has not changed but has expanded to include some set options for lunch / dinner before 5.30pm.

The quality of dumplings is the same.  This time round we ordered the XO fried rice with chicken and the wontons in chilli oil.  I must say the XO fried rice was very very tasty.  The wontons were not too bad either but just like the description - wontons sprinkled with chilli oil.

Will definitely be back to try some other specialties ....and then hop across the road for my grass jelly dessert at Meet Fresh!



2 comments:

  1. Yes, I had issues with the seating and booking arrangements with Taste of Shanghai in Eastwood, when I was there last month on a cool Saturday night.
    Although bookings were made, the table reserved for six of us were given away before we arrived, even if we did arrive early. Intending diners who did not book were squashed
    in a tight space at the entrance inside the already packed restaurant. Having said that, the food served that evening was reasonably tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much for their "booking" system. What I noticed when I was there previously for dinner was how quickly the restaurant "cleared" out. Which means that by about 8pm, you should have no problems in getting a table. As with most of these establishments, I think it should be a given that we should not expect too much "service" then we won't be disappointed and can just get on to enjoying the meal.

    ReplyDelete