Sunday, October 23, 2011

Meet Fresh meet ZenQ


Hmm... more competition - great for the consumer, more choices.  I have heard about ZenQ which opened their first outlet in Chatswood but have not tried it.  Just last Tuesday, I read that ZenQ has opened another outlet at Macquarie Center next to Boost Juice - yippee!

Decided to try it after lunch today to see which is better... Meet Fresh or ZenQ?  Both are successful Taiwanese dessert houses but herein lies some slight differences.

Meet Fresh provides you with pre-customised mixes for their herbal jelly or taro balls i.e No 1 is... No 2 is ... etc etc... ZenQ on the other hand provides you with the option of selecting your base eg grass jelly, red bean, glutinous black rice and to that you can add your toppings for extras.  This is a plus as sometimes you might not like a certain thing and would be good to have a substitute.

The other specialty on the ZenQ menu is their "toast"... I saw the other tables ordering a Strawberry Toast ($16.80). It looked scary, huge (not sure what is inside) but not for the small eater or sugar hater.

Now for the taste test.  Personally I prefer the desserts at Meet Fresh.  More so as I like the idea of the shaved ice under all my toppings as opposed to just a scoop of shaved ice at ZenQ.  What this meant was that even though you ordered a cold dessert, as it was only a scoop of shaved ice at ZenQ, your dessert is not cold enough... Furthermore, I thought the shaved ice had a funny taste and smell (albeit subtle).  I also think the servings at Meet Fresh is more generous and slightly cheaper than ZenQ.

Oh well, so much for this... am glad that there is a Meet Fresh franchise opening soon in my neck of the woods which means I do not have to trek to the city for my grass jelly fix.

ps... 25/10  Here is the write up for ZenQ Chatswood...
http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/restaurants-and-bars/the-sweet-spot-20111020-1m8n0.html

No comments:

Post a Comment